Offshore Rig Training & Events

Most Oil & Gas jobs do not require a formal college education. The exception are scientific and engineering roles which require a college degree and sometimes a Masters.  With that said working on an oil rig is requires a lot of skill, and so certificates, and on-the-job training are essential.

There are schools that train aspiring oil rig workers in the essential skills and provide the mandatory certificates. In some cases, employers will also provide training. 

There are a few mandatory certificates you should consider getting if you don’t already have them:

BOSIET Certificate

Offshore oil rig workers must have a BOSIET certificate (Basic Offshore Safety Induction Emergency Training). The BOSIET certificate usually a three-day course teaches first aid, dealing with hazardous materials, helicopter and lifeboat evacuation, and crisis response skills. BOSIET Certificates last for four years.

HUET Certificate

Some employers require Helicopter Underwater Emergency Training (HUET), this course usually one day in length teaches how to escape from a helicopter during an emergency water landing.

FOET Certificate

Further Offshore Emergency Training (FOET) is teaches firefighting, and advanced survival skills.

Well Control Certification

If you want to advance beyond entry level positions you will need to get a certification in Well Control.  There are well known organizations that provide certification that is recognized globally.

  • IADC – Developed in the United States, generally accepted worldwide. Available online.
  • IWCF – Developed in Scotland and is the global standard. It is more expensive and longer then the IADC. 

On-The-Job Training

The certificates are necessary, but actual work experience is how you receive more responsibility, and larger compensation.  See our 2019 Salary Guide to learn what Offshore Oil Rig Works make and advance upwards into higher paying positions.