Welltec creates robotic Well solutions and provides the Oil and Gas industry with latest technology products. Its technology is dedicated to help optimize reservoir efficiency. It does this by providing the necessary solutions in the form of well-finished technology that ensures Well efficiency and integrity. It keeps on pushing the boundaries of conventional Oil field technology to its limits by forcing change.
Headquarters: Allerod, Denmark
Established in: 1994
Number of Employees: about 1,000
- Jørgen Hallundbæk, the founder and CEO of Welltec, came up with the idea of the Well Tractor while he was a graduate student at the Technical University of Denmark. The Well Tractor allowed operators to reach the horizontal part of Oil and Gas Wells and get past the divergent sections using standard electrical wireline.
- The Well Tractor performed its first job in 1996, in the North Sea offshore Norway.
- In 1996, Weltec won the Council’s Petroleum Technology Transfer Award.
- 1998, it received the Woelfel Best Mechanical Engineering Innovation Award for the Well Tractor.
- In 1999, it received the Presidential Meritorious Award for Engineering Innovation as well as Gazelle of the year.
- In 2002, it proudly received the 9th King Frederik Award for Excellence in Export.
- In 2003, Welltec went from being a sub contractor to other service companies, to being a direct contractor to the operators. In the same year, the company won the Woelfel Best Mechanical Engineering Innovation Award for the Well Stroker.
- In 2005, the company received a Meritorious Scientific Achievement Certificate from the World Petroleum Council.
- In 2006, it won “Entrepreneur of the year”.
- In July 2007, Welltec partnered with Summit Partners, a growth capital private equity investor. In the same year, the company won the Woelfel Best Innovation Award for Mechanical Engineering for the Well Miller.
- In 2008, the ONS Innovation Award and the OTC Spotlight on New Technology Award were awarded to the company for the Well Cleaner RCB.
- In 2009, it achieved the OTC Spotlight on New Technology Award for the Well Cleaner PST.
- In 2011, the company won “Owner-Leader of the Year” Entrepreneurial Award.
- In 2012, the Mediehuset Global Award was awarded to the Well Cutter. It won Best Stand Offshore Northern Seas (ONS) > 50m2.
- In 2013, for the third time, Welltec won the OTC Spotlight on New Technology Award, but for the Well Cutter this year. The Well Cutter also won the ICoTA Intervention Technology Award in the same year.
- In 2014, Welltec won Best Custom Build of the APPEA 2014 exhibition.
- In 2015, on the New Technology Award, the Welltec Annular Barrier won the OTC Spotlight.
- Well Tractor:
When Welltec brought the Well Tractor to the market in the 1990s, it was seen as a breakthrough in the business. It helped developers to extend the reach of conventional e-line implementation to heavily deviated and horizontal fields, rendering it one of the most cost-effective and efficient solutions for well-intervention deployment. Some of its applications are:
- Clean-out solutions
- Milling solutions
- Mechanical solutions &
- Pipe recovery
- Coiled Tubing Well Tractor:
The original Well Tractor was actually a Coiled Tubing (CT). It is an essential tool to harness the fluids pumped from the surface to overcome helical buckling or washouts, pulling the coiled tube deeper into the wellbore. It is compatible with a wide range of downhole tools that allow technicians to pass coil and tools through small restrictions as well as operate in large borehole diameter. Using the CT Well Tractor, one can extend his reach. Some of its features are:
- Clean-out solutions
- Milling solutions &
- Mechanical solutions
- Power Suction Tool
The Well Cleaner Power Suction Tool is the perfect choice for loose debris removal in a Well. It agitates the debris using high-rate fluid circulation and captures it inside the tool in bailers. It can remove the unwanted by-products associated with Oil and Gas production such as sand, scale, mud, etc. with its clean-out solutions. Some of the programs it offers are:
- Removing sand and debris
- Cleaning SSSV seats
- Clearing obstructions
- Accessing isolation valves
- Dry Environment
The Well Cleaner Dry Environment (DE) is designed concretely for cleaning in dry environments. The auger at the tip loosens the debris and transits it into the bailer sections of the tool.
- Downhole Jetting Tool (DJT)
The Well Cleaner Downhole Jetting Tool (DJT) is an effective, e-line conveyed, surface controlled method for jetting fluid downhole. The Well Cleaner DJT can quickly create a large diameter hole in hydrate or wax plugs. Carrying fluids downhole, it can potentially remove scale bridges using organic acids. On the other hand, it can also be used as a fluid sampling tool, and in coexistence with a Well Tractor, it can operate in horizontal or highly deviated Wells.
- Reverse Circulating Bit
Well Cleaner RCB (Reverse Circulating Bit) combines both a rotary bit with a suction system to provide the combined benefits of both in one powerful tool. This device breaks through hard packed debris and retrieves the generated cuttings with suction into the combined bailers. In one try, the mineral deposits like cement can be crushed and removed from the Well to prevent further associated problems.
- Wishbone Honer (WBH)
The Well Cleaner® Wishbone Honer (WBH) is designed to clean deposits from tubular walls over interludes where the internal diameter changes, such as mandrels and profiles. Over time, these deposits often lead to decreased production or malfunctioning of hardware. The Well Cleaner’s different rotating heads remove these deposits to reinstate complete functionality and production.
- Well Cutter
The Well Cutter incrementally uses a spinning head to cut the tubing, which avoids shavings from being produced. A polishing trip with drill pipe can be omitted for improved operational productivity thanks to the clean, bevelled coating of the trip. The Well Cutter provides efficient, safe drill pipe, liner, tubing and casing recovery operations without the need for explosives. Its applications are:
- Casing cutting
- Drill pipe cutting
- Liner cutting
- Well Key:
The Well Key provides Well completion design with a high degree of flexibility and reliability as it is designed to move multiple sliding sleeves in one run. It is opened in depth when running into the hole in a slick configuration and automatically engages with the hardware for which it was set up. The Well Stroker, once involved, offers the force to move the hardware in the direction and position needed. Its applications are:
- Opening / closing valves &
- Opening / closing sliding sleeves
- Well Miller:
The Well Miller for Hardware Milling, optimizes repair of Wells with mechanical problems by using keyhole precision, to mill out the faulty hardware. In combination with its Well Tractor, hardware milling is performed to apply weight-on-bit as necessary and to counteract the reactive torque. The services it includes are:
- Nipple profile milling
- Access through failed isolation valves
- Cement plug milling
- Enlargement of buckled tubing
- Glass plug and bridge plug removal
- Ball valve / seat milling
- Isolation valve milling
- Well Stroker:
The Well Stroker, regardless of depth and deviation, can push or pull multiple times in the same run. Using a bi-directional hydraulic ram it provides up to 100,000 lbs of downhole axial pressure. Its lines of operations are:
- Opening / closing valves
- Opening / closing sliding sleeves
- Retrieving / setting Gas lift valves
- Fishing operations
- Setting / pulling plugs &
- Setting straddle packer assemblies
Other than the above, Welltec also provides:
- Conveyance Solutions
- Wireline Services
- Mechanical Solutions
- Subsea Intervention
- Oilfield Services
- Oil & Gas Interventions
Countries of Operation:
Besides Denmark, Welltec also operates in the following countries:
- Saudi Arabia
- South Africa